Keeton Seed Firmers for Drills
- Improves plant emergence uniformity
- Helps ensure all seeds germinate at same time
- Helps get seedlings established (seeds not loose in furrow)
- Don’t rely on a rain to bring the crop up
- When used with Exapta’s Mojo Wires, Keetons stay clean and are trouble-free.
Note: Although Keetons are available for JD 50/60/90 drills, we do not recommend them. This is because the angle of the opener changes so dramatically during field operation (no parallel link) that the Keeton often has little to no pressure on it, even with a Mojo Wire installed. Much better to use the seed-lock firming wheels on these drills, which supply a continuous pressure of about 20 lbs on a similar surface area as a Keeton—so long as a sufficiently narrow firming wheel is installed (well-designed firming wheels include Exapta’s DuraLok, Case’s SDX; also acceptable are Needham V8, and Deere’s narrow seed-lock wheel introduced in 2005—although it still rides on the sidewall too much due to being on a rigid rim, but is vastly superior to what Deere had prior to ’05). Even the Fin, a sliding plastic firmer that uses the Deere firming arm, is much better than a Keeton for the Deere 50/60/90 drills.